Cuezilla

Default Mother of Pearl

"Watch out for the dust. It's highly toxic. Wear a tight-fitting dust mask
when you work it."

Can you point to some data to support this?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message t...
"Rhbuxton" wrote in message
Hi All,
Does anyone have any experience working with mother of pearl? I would

like to
fashion some pocket knife handles out of it but have no idea how to work

it.
Can it be sawn, filed, sanded, or buffed? Can it be drilled with high

speed
steel twist drill bits? It appears to be brittle, is it? What questions

do I
not know enough to ask!
TIA
Rick

It's brittle. It's often worked with jeweler's saws and abrasive sticks.
I've used abrasive cloth and paper wrapped around wooden popsicle sticks,
etc.

Watch out for the dust. It's highly toxic. Wear a tight-fitting dust mask
when you work it.

I find it miserable to work, but jewelers who do a lot of it probably are
more comfortable with the stuff.