Andrew McKay

Default extending a ring main

On 3 Jul 2003 05:10:41 -0700, (Paul Draper)
wrote:

I know that ideally I would use a 30A junction box to connect them
together, but I don't have any spare cable on the old ring. Is it OK
to connect the wires inside the existing back box using choclate block
or is this a big No No?

I recall from my 16th edition course a short time ago that if wires
are to be joined and the joint isn't easily accessible (e.g. the joint
is buried without an access cover) then a terminal block isn't
acceptable.

The reason I happen to remember that little gem is that about 20 years
ago I joined some ring main with a heavy-duty terminal block, wrapped
it up and then plastered over it.

I know, I shouldn't have done that. But at the time it seemed the
right way. And the 16th edition wasn't out then.....

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at
http://www.handymac.co.uk