Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
mm

Default duplicating phone and ring voltage

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:38:13 GMT, Ken Weitzel
wrote:

Ross Herbert wrote:

Since you need to find the 3 digit code for message retrieval it is
not simply a matter of generating the correct ring signal. The ring
signal needs to be received and tripped so that a normal line
connection is established with correct DC potentials etc. Only then
can you send the DTMF signals to the fax to determine the 3 digit
code. For this you will need an analog phone line simulator similar to
http://www.teltone.com/products/simu.../tls3/home.htm

Unfortunately these aren't cheap (US495 for the TLS3).

Wow. Over my limit, I think.

AN Australian device which will do the trick is shown here
http://www.mgram.com.au/pdf/pds22001.pdf and sells for around USD271
plus postage.

Still a lot.

In the UK you can buy a kit to build one
http://www.hotspot.freeserve.co.uk/H...ame.htm?lsdiag
which will be a lot cheaper than the Teltone.

They might ship. I'll check. Thanks a lot.

Hi...

I'd be willing to bet that if the OP would disassemble the machine
he'd find the code on a label somewhere inside it.

Sounds reasonable. I had my old machine apart twice, and my friend's
wife's machine apart once, to change the tape mechanism drive belts,
and I don't think I saw the number for either, but I'll look harder
this time. I think I might have seen both sides of the mechanism, but
maybe not since I didn't want to un"plug" the microphone from the top
half of the case, and there were speaker wires too and maybe button
wires.. Thanks.

It made it a lot easier to ask about my friend's machine, since I had
fixed it once, and she used it for a few years after that. I don't
think she bought her replacement. IIRC it was included with a new job
she had.

Take care.

Ken