Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Default duplicating phone and ring voltage

Ross Herbert wrote:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 01:22:25 -0500, mm
wrote:

I need to connect some telephone-type things together in my own little
circuit, and test them, but I don't know a simple method or what
voltages to use. I think I need to use some wire, some kind of DC
power, something to put a ring-signal on the line, a phone, and
whatever I am testing.

For example, I'm getting a replacement for my all-time favorite phone
answering machine, but the owner has forgotten the 3-digit code for
remote message retrieval. I'm willing to try all 900 or 1000,
probably while I'm watching tv, but only if I can get it to go
quickly. So I need a test line to ring it directly, have the machine
answer, and punch in the code.

Also I have 2 fax machines, one that sends and one that receives!
I'm pretty sure I can get it down to one that does both.

I don't have two phone lines, and even if I did, I think things would
run quicker with my own little circuit.

In the 7th grade, we had two candlestick phones and a dry cell to play
with during ham radio club, and everything worked (except it didn't
ring, but that was ok because they had no bells. )

Any help appreciated.

Since you need to find the 3 digit code for message retrieval it is
not simply a matter of generating the correct ring signal. The ring
signal needs to be received and tripped so that a normal line
connection is established with correct DC potentials etc. Only then
can you send the DTMF signals to the fax to determine the 3 digit
code. For this you will need an analog phone line simulator similar to
http://www.teltone.com/products/simu.../tls3/home.htm

Unfortunately these aren't cheap (US495 for the TLS3).

AN Australian device which will do the trick is shown here
http://www.mgram.com.au/pdf/pds22001.pdf and sells for around USD271
plus postage.

In the UK you can buy a kit to build one
http://www.hotspot.freeserve.co.uk/H...ame.htm?lsdiag
which will be a lot cheaper than the Teltone.

Hi...

I'd be willing to bet that if the OP would disassemble the machine
he'd find the code on a label somewhere inside it.

Take care.

Ken