Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Peter Wiley

Default Google Earth

In article rs.com,
DoN. Nichols wrote:

According to Peter Wiley :
In article rs.com,
DoN. Nichols wrote:

The one thing from your experience which differs is that you are
using a commercial database program.

At one stage I tested every dbms I could find that had a type 4 JDBC
driver against some of my code. I got all of them to work tho with
differing levels of performance. Oracle definitely works; the reason I
stopped using it is the same reason I don't use Windows. Poor software
sold by hype.

Postgresql isn't really a commercial dbms, it's open source. I've used
mysql and a couple of the small fry pure Java database engines as well.

We are providing something which
will run on all systems without having to *purchase* extra software.

Yes, I understand that. So am I. That's why I switched *from* Oracle to
Postgres. My main data servers are all open systems software from o/s
to our code to dbms.

3) create two files whose names differ only in the case (such
as "Junque" and "junque"). Ideally, put a different text
string in each, so they can be identified later.

4) Use "ls -laF" to verify that both are there.

5) Now -- go to the OS-X GUI, and go look at the same
subdirectory. His experience was that he saw both names for an
instant, and then one of them overwrote the other.

6) If this happens, go back in with the command line "ls -laF"
to see whether both files are still present. (I haven't gotten
him to try this, yet.

Hmmm. It's worse than that. I created Fred.txt (vi Fred.txt) then
attempted to create fred.txt - vi opened the Fred.txt file.
Interesting.

ok, cd .. and vi fred.txt no probs.

mv fred.txt archive/. (which is where the Fred.txt file was created)

Guess what? Fred.txt vanishes. fred.txt takes its place, as shown by
different text inside the file.

You don't need to do anything with Finder in the Mac GUI at all to
cause this.

I'd say OS X has a serious filesystem bug.

I like my machine, it's the one I use most and take with me when I have
to travel. A 15" Powerbook G4. The Windows machine on my desk really
only gets used for corporate stuff and occasionally Oracle sys admin
stuff tho I'm thinking of installing Solidworks.

O.K. Now, the trick comes of affording a Powerbook G4 on a
fixed retirement income. :-)

I don't work here (only) for the salary, I like the toys.........

PDW