Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin

Default Retrofit pocket door

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:57:32 GMT, Cap'n 321
wrote:

Is it possible to retrofit a pocket door without tearing out the
parallel wall. In other words, can I do the installation fully from the
jamb? We have open doorways from the dining room and hall into the
kitchen and need to keep the dogs in the kitchen area. I'm thinking of
half-height pocket doors if the job can be done without major surgery on
the adjacent walls.

TIA

Cap'n 321

Never say never, but I dont' see any way that wouldn't be about 10x
the work of ripping off the drywall.

Pocket door kits replace the normal wall studs with thin steel
reinforced stud-lets turned sideways in order to get clearance for the
door. And the bottom plate has to be cut back as well.

They really aren't that hard to install, but it starts with demo-ing
the wall.

How about using baby gates...that's what I've done on occasion. The
good ones will keep most dogs corraled.

HTH,

Paul