Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing main water supply valve

wrote:
Thank you.....It is the house valve that I am talking about not the
city valve. However, as someone mentioned, perhaps I can get a tool to
turn off the city valve and see if I can simply replace the rubber
washer in the house supply valve. I'll try that first. If it doesn't
work I'll call the city and see if they will do it for free. Great
suggestion. Also good advice on the 1/4 turn ball valve.

Amen to the ball valve. All the gate valves in my house plumbing are
now DOA; the handles go round and round forever and they don't shut off.