Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Whole House Water Filter?

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Hiya,
I'm considering adding a filter to my incoming water (fed by a well). I
get iron bacteria every now and again but would prefer not to use chlorine
(I'm on a septic) so was considering a carbon filter as this is what was
recommended to me by the well company. Anyway, it seems there are a
number of options available and I'm just not sure which one to go with.
Specifically, is something like this adequate:

http://www.pwgazette.com/wh.htm

or should I be looking at something a bit more "industrial" like this?:

http://www.pwgazette.com/5600.htm

I have a bad sulfur problem with my well. When I first bought it I tried
carbon filters, but they lasted a couple days. That was too much trouble
and expense, so now I just live with it. YMMV.

I don't know anything about the larger filter, but I am skeptical about
renewing carbon filters.