Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim

Default Multiple Circuit Junction Box

I bought the house 3 years ago. None of my handy work has required any
electrical changes/upgrades. Now I've re-done 2 circuits I've
discovered problems.
I mean, there were 2 wall outlets on the same circuit right next to
each other. Hidden under the stairwell. What the hell is that all
about?

I'm trying to re-label the breaker box. I've discovered that a fair
number of breakers are mislabeled. I have 4 (yes 4!) breakers for the
kitchen. There are 4 light fixtures and 6 wall sockets.Thay also
happen to control a light fixture in a hallway. I think whoever did the
original wiring was a real yahoo. Or some wierd changes were made
afterwards. The house is only 18 years old so at least I know I'm
dealing with new wire and all copper.

The list stuck to the box was done in a half-assed way to begin with.
Few labels seem to match the actual circuits. Maybe they did at one
time but not now.

I just felt a new J-box would cause less confusion if labeled for the
new circuits. So I'm going to label any I add or change along with new
labels on the breaker box.