Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mungo

Default Wrong screw dilemma!

Pete C wrote:

A few years ago I ordered a futon, when it was delivered took one look
at the mattress and decided to send it back!

We (foolishly) bought a single bed with pull-out lower bed for my
teenage son
from Argos and got it at a "good" price.
After a few weeks he complained that the bed "squeaked" and eventually
I got round
to having a look at it.
Keyriiiist.
The mattress rested on the base of the main bed. The base was made of
cardboard - I could tear it with two hands.
The cardboard was stapled on to a "frame" - a perimeter of thin wood
and
then THREE (yes, three) straps about an inch wide across the top,
middle and
bottom of the frame.

I should have returned it, but instead I unpicked all the staples then
beefed up the strapping
with a dozen or more bits then replaced the cardboard with two sheets
of 3mm hardboard. Sorted.

It was a shock when I saw the pitiful state of our purchase.
You aren't guaranteed to buy quality if you buy expensive, but there's
more chance
of buying crap by buying cheap.

Mungo