Ken Moffett

Default I want to start cutting sheet aluminum...

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

In article , Phil Mitchell
wrote:

I need to start cutting aluminum plate (1/2" or less) and some angle.

The material will be 6061-T6 mostly and I'll be cutting it on a bandsaw.

What blade should I use on this material and what should be SFPM be?

It's a Grizzly 1HP band saw for wood. I'm guessing that I need to slow the
blade down but by how much?

The blade is a puzzle too. What style of blade, what tooth type and how
many TPI?

Thanks so much, I searched GOOGLE and didn't come up with anything.

Phil

Speed, as fast as you can go.

Blade, Skip tooth blade.
They are made specifically for aluminum.
It looks like a wood cutting blade, but with every other tooth missing.
They are normally just carbon steel, but I have seen bi-metl versions.

Lube, Use a stick wax or a citrus cleaner (wierd but it works).

I agree. I use a 4-TPI skip-tooth at full speed on a Rockwell 14"
bandsaw and it cuts like butter (well almost).