Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Wrong screw dilemma!

Pete C wrote:
On 29 Mar 2006 02:26:52 -0800, "Helen Mayson"
wrote:

After excitedly unpacking my new bed from Argos and avidly reading
the instructions, I've foolishly proceeded to put the wrong screw in
the headboard! Rather than the short, fat screw (apparently the 'long
screw' according to the instructions) I tried to screw in the longer,
thinner screw (just called 'screw' on the sheet). Now, despite
several attempts to get it out, it's just spinning and spinning in
the hole!

The screw is a cross head and is resting in a metal barrel fixed into
the wooden headboard. Would a magnet help remove this? The screw is
recessed in the barrel about 1cm and is pretty much flush to the
sides with only a tiny gap so I can't get anything around it. It
will move up and down about half a cm, but seems to keep catching
just short of coming out!

It's really frustrating me so any help appreciated!

Hi,

Try some double sided tape, sticky pad, blue tack, hot melt glue,
chewing gum etc to stick the screwdriver point to the screw head, and
gently pull while unscrewing.

Once the thread of the screw catches on the thread in the barrel it
should come out OK.

If the above fails try glueing the screwdriver to the screw with a
tiny bit of epoxy/Araldite or similar strong glue.

cheers,
Pete.

Which will all fail. ;-)
--