Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default under floor polystyrene

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:47:40 +0100, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:46:59 +0100 Tim Lamb wrote :
In this particular case my daughter has a London flat with vinyl strip
wood effect glued to chipboard over a 25mm layer of foam. Directly in
front of the kitchen sink is a join in the chipboard which does not
appear to be tongue and grooved. Needless to say, movement has caused
the vinyl to crack badly.

I had exactly the same thing on our church kitchen floor. The fix was to
cut some narrow slots across the join with a router about 75mm long and
12mm deep. Then drop a suitable dowel (I just used plated wood screws)
in each slot and fill with fibreglass resin. This effectively stitches
the two ends together - no further movement.

As an alternative how about a fix similar to what is used to join
kitchen worktops ,you know the threaded rods which sit in a recess
with the ends shaped to take the rounded sections .You'll again need a
router for this and depends how much room you have to use the real
joining parts but maybe you could adapt one (2) or just use threaded
rod and a couple of washers to take the strain ..

Stuart