Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default VERY IMPORTANT - MUY IMPORTANTE -

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
My way out of the mess was to come up with a theory that says that you
have to make *some* assumption to *have* a worldview. And you *have to
have* a worldview to operate as humans do. The assumption you make
determines how the world appears to you to be. However, you can never
ever be sure that the assumption was valid, and, indeed, for the purpose
of various different activities, you may modify the assumption and have
the world present itself to you in entirely different ways.

As usual Wittgestein got there first ...

Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus - proposition 6.54:
My propositions serve as elucidations in the following way: anyone who
understands me eventually recognises them as nonsensical, when he
has used them - as steps - to climb up beyond them. (He must, so to speak,
throw away the ladder after he has climbed up it.)
He must transcend these propositions, and then he will see the world
aright.

Of course teachers have always appreciated that you have to get kids to accept
something they cannot possibly understand to serve as that ladder for
everything else that they need to know.