Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default Boilers at B and Q

John Stumbles wrote:
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:57:15 -0800, JavaEnquirer wrote:

I'm looking to upgrade my old boiler to a condensing combi and
replace 10 radiators. I've had a number of plumbers in giving me
quotes, one as high as £4500. One however told me to go to B and Q
and pick up a Ravenheat boiler pack - 87,000 BTU 11 litres per
second, complete with 7 radiators ( and thermostatic valves ).
Factor in the extra three rads I need and the 10% OAP discount, it
seems I can get the whole lot for pretty much bang on a grand.

Does any one have experience of these packs. The price seems great,
but what of the quality. I haven't heard Ravenheat.

How long do you want the boiler to last? Ravenheat are certainly
cheaper than, say, Worcester-Bosch or Vaillant but it's like whether
you buy, say, a Bosch, Siemens or Miele washing machine rather than a
cheaper brand. The cheaper model _may_ last as long and require as
little repair, and when it packs up you just buy a new one and the
suppliers will bring it round and install it for you for little or no
extra cost. However replacing a boiler is much more expensive (apart
from the cost of the boiler itself) so I'd really suggest getting a
good one despite the extra cost.

At the moment Worcester-Bosch and Vaillant (and maybe Gloworm?) seem
to be mainstream manufacturers with good products whereas the
traditional safe buys Potterton and possibly Ideal have rather
tarnished reputations in recent years. I'll put on my fireproof
overalls now as there's likely to be a flame war starting :-)

all good advice, the biasi boilers at B&Q are also worth a punt.
given the savings to be had at B&Q the OP could make, it would
not be too daft to build in the /potential/ cost of a new boiler in 6
years time, *if* a "cheap" boiler *does* fail, which is unlikely.

most plumbers I know buy heating packs from B&Q due to the price.
seems that merchants can't match the buying power of B&Q.

if the OP can wait until easter I'm certain that there will be a 20%
off everything special offer which will bring the price right down.
and he would be advised to get the honest plumber who told him
about B&Q to install the system. see if he will take £750 cash for
the install, if he does, go for it.

hth