Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default VERY IMPORTANT - MUY IMPORTANTE -

Tournifreak wrote:
raden wrote:
In message .com,
Tournifreak writes
There is no evidence. Only faith/superstition/whatever you were brought up
with.
That's quite a statement to make. Are you really saying that there is
"no evidence" for the truth of Christianity? (Or Islam/Judaism?) To say
you think the evidence is insufficent to convince you is one thing, but
to say there's no evidence at all is very brave.

I presume he means real, hard tangible evidence of a god, the sort of
thing which would stand up to scientific scrutiny

Well, that's not what he actually said, but you're probably right. I
await his answer.

Nothing which should be too difficult for an all powerful omnipresent
being to provide

What would you like God to do? How about create some objects of such
incredible beauty that even with all our scientific explanations, we
are just left in awe of their complexity.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So is awe. Look again. It is
whatever you want it to be, emotionally. Now work why you want it to be
that way, emotionally..

Or maybe create a universe so
vast that when we contemplate the billions of stars in the billions of
galaxies we are unable to take it in. Or perhaps inspire his followers
with such powerful conviction that they follow his lead in creating
objects of sublime beauty in art and architecture. Or perhaps appear to
people in dreams and visions? Maybe he could take the lives of his
followers and turn them upside down and inside out and make them into -
shock - nicer people? Or even, perhaps he could appear in the form of a
human being and actually come and explain to us all we need to know
about what God is like. Perhaps while he was knocking around planet
earth he could explain to us where we've been going wrong all these
years, and tell us how we could make our peace with each other and God?

Could do, but why on earth would he bother with all that crap?

Why not just pop in for tea, and say 'I'm real, here I am'.

But perhaps if God did actually come in human form we wouldn't actually
like it much. Perhaps we'd just crucify him like some sort of 1st
century criminal?

Perhaps he IS.

Frankly, he sucks.

First of all there he is, designing the Universe. Perfectly.

Then he designs man.

Imperfectly

Then he BLAMES man, for being imperfect and not struggling to find his
sort of perfection

A bad workman blames his tools, and a very bad workman blames the tools
he himself has made.

Frankly, I'd hang him on a cross any day if he comes round here giving
me what for about my lifestyle.