Bill

Default Sheldon lathe guys

jim rozen wrote:

In article , dot says...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=12 72

The picture makes it appear as if the compound can be positioned
anywhere along the cross slide.

I would tend to agree. I've never seen a setup like this before.

I think that in this photo one can see one of the two vertical
clamping screws that tighten the clamp that holds the compound
to the slide:

http://www.reliableiam.com/OCTB3/b78j.jpg

It's the one at the extreme rear, right corner of the flat
base for the compound. The other one is hidden. I think
the thing that you say might be a gib is actually the
clamp, which would be gib-shaped and visible in that 9th
photo. The difference is it's not tapered, and tightens
by pulling upwards.

Jim

please reply to:

Thanks Jim

Yes, I had spotted that little fellow and imagined that there might also be
a third screw in the center but there is yet another photo that dispels that. (I
think) In any case that setup provides such superb wedging action that the two
screws are plenty to lock that well enough to stop a freight train. (^:

Seems to be a quality machine! Love that 60 speed gear box as well.

Tks again!
Bill