Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Help: Indexable Tooling Recommendations

I have a new tool post for my lathe:

Now I'm moving into the tooling phase. I'm told to avoid the cheap sets
of insert tooling which offer five tools in one set(each at a slightly
different angle),because the inserts tend to break easily, there is no
carbide anvil to support the inserts, and the inserts are more
expensive than common industrial ones.

I'm guessing that the reference was to sets like this:

The designations for the inserts are still confusing because it seems
like every manufacturer uses their own numbers. The only way to know
which are quality tools, what the numbers mean, and the ease and cost
of insert replacement is to ask those who have experience.

So can anyone give me recommendations?

Now. I would like to cover all bases with as much ridigity as possible.

A) Facing
B) Turning
C) Boring
D) Threading(Outside)
E) Threading(Inside)
F) Cut-off(Parting)/Grooving

Any thoughts on these?(Or they also the "cheap" tools that I'm told to
avoid?).

I don't agree with this. I have a set, 1/2" shank, and they work well. I bought
a whole bunch of TT-321 inserts for about a buck apiece (had to buy like 500 to
get that price) and they last a reasonably long time as long as I don't do
something dumb. I was turning some 303 stainless the other day on my 9" South
Bend (not the most rigid beast) and it came out like chrome using one of these
inserted tools.

Anyway, if your lathe is 10" or smaller the tribal wisdom on this NG is to use
HSS tooling and learn to grind it correctly. HSS toolbits are cheap, and if you
practice a little, easy to grind to get a good cut. Invest in some hand stones
if you do go with HSS; you will be stoning the edges a lot.

???

I've gotten unanimous recommendations for insert tooling, as far as
what's easier *and* more cost effective in the long run.

It seems that grinding those angles perfect would be a PITA, and I've
yet to find a good tutorial for this.

My lathe is a 7" X 14". I've never read anything about using HSS if
one's lathe is under 10". Does that mean HSS as opposed to insert
tooling? And if so, what would be the reason for this?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.