Errol Groff

Default I want to start cutting sheet aluminum...

If you are cutting regular shapes, ie squares, rectangles and so on,
you might consider using a skill saw. Home Depot has a balde for non
ferrous metals that works fine and is about $30.00. I use some
Castrol stick wax lubricant on the blade but that is for thicker
material. 1.125 and 3.000 material 6061. The 3" plate can be cut in
one pass but I usually take it in two to reduce the work load on the
saw.

Wear eye protection and ear protection!! Makes a hell of a noise but
is quick and efficient.

Other than that I would second the already posted suggestions.

Oh yes, keep your fingers out of the blade. Had a girl student take
a nasty cut earlier in the school year. Required surgery to repair
the tendons but she will be fine in the long run. Ouch.

Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool Department
H.H. Ellis Tech
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/

http://newenglandmodelengineeringsociety.org/

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 02:26:06 GMT, "Phil Mitchell"
wrote:

I need to start cutting aluminum plate (1/2" or less) and some angle.

The material will be 6061-T6 mostly and I'll be cutting it on a bandsaw.

What blade should I use on this material and what should be SFPM be?

It's a Grizzly 1HP band saw for wood. I'm guessing that I need to slow the
blade down but by how much?

The blade is a puzzle too. What style of blade, what tooth type and how
many TPI?

Thanks so much, I searched GOOGLE and didn't come up with anything.

Phil