Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Fixing sagging towel bar holder

On 28 Mar 2006 10:12:38 -0800, "Mike" wrote:

One of the ends for a towel bar in our bathroom is sagging due to
degraded drywall behind it, and I'm not sure how to fix it.

The holder was sagging a bit when we bought the house. It looks as if
the previous owners did a very poor job of cutting the hole to install
originally or the bar was yanked down, damaging the drywall. Either
way, I've got a too large hole surrounded by weakened drywall, crumbly
drywall.

When I reinstalled after painting, I used a larger spring toggle, which
helped cinch the thing up tighter for a while, but the drywall is still
weak and the weight of wet towels has just dragged it down again.

The only solution I've come up with is to cut a good square chunk of
the drywall out, install a patch secured by repair clips, cover with
compound, sand and repaint. I'd really rather not go to that extent,
but I can't think of another option.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Its either that, or mount a plank on the outside of the drywall
that covers both mounting-points on the towel-rod, and which
screws into at least two studs, and then mount the towel-rod
to the plank. (Or shorten the rod so that both mounting points
hit studs anyway.)