Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Farmer Giles

Default Repair of old arcade monitor 1979

Terry wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got a rare old vector arcade monitor from a "Warrior" arcade game
that came out in 1979. Everything works except that the picture is way
off center. To the point that about half of it is off-screen. I've
adjusted the horizontal and vertical controls as far as they go. So
I'm thinking I need to adjust the yoke. But I've never done that
before. I tried loosening the screw and I can rotate it which rotates
the picture. But I don't know how to move it to a different angle to
get the picture back in the middle. It's an old b&w monitor so I don't
have to worry about color convergience or anything like that. Can
someone give a novice a clue on how to go about this? Thanks!

John

John: There may be, as with old B&W TV sets a couple of usually black
cardboard looking circular pieces with tabs often mounted on and comprising
part of the back of the yoke. Those could be rotated (gosh how rusty I am on
this!) to magnetically centre the whole raster (picture)? Try that? I guess
the 'black things' were somehow magnetic and steered the electron beam?
There used to also be an 'Ion trap' that had to also adjusted; if it was way
off the picture would show on the screen at all! IIRC the trap was to steer
the electron beam/s back towards the screen to avoid ion burn? because the
tube gun was manufactured not exactly pointing at the screen. The ion trap
looked like a springy open metal clip around the tube neck and contained a
small magnet about half the size of postage stamp. Maybe that's missing? If
so try a smallish magnet to see if affects the problem.
But stand to be corrected on any of this by those more knowledgeable. Terry

Ion traps were a good deal earlier than 1979. You are correct about the
tabs at the back of the yolk though - I think they were called 'shuffle
magnets' or something like that(but my memory might be no better than
yours here) - and they might well be the cause of the problem. Turning
them independently of each other should centralise the raster -
loosening and turning the yoke itself will only move the scan in the
horizontal plane (but make sure the yoke hasn't come loose and moved
away from the CRT).
All this assumes that it is a monochrome monitor.