Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default Help reading TC5518 Static Ram from Tractor monitor

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:55:06 GMT, Geo put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On 25 Mar 2006 09:06:03 -0800, "ve3tjd" wrote:

Hi Guys:

I'm working on a "tractor performance monitor" from a farm tractor. It
uses an 6803U4 micro and I gather that the main program is stored on a
TC5518 static ram which is battery backed up. The problem came about
when the lithium cell went dead and the static ram lost it's contents.
I do have another working monitor, but does anyone know a way to read
it while it's still on the board? The board was manufactured in 1988.

I would have thought it /extremely/ unlikely that any manufacturer (especially
of a unit to be used in the wild) would trust his program to RAM. Are you
certain that there is no ROM (with the RAM being used as data storage)?

Geo

25 years ago a colleague was involved in the design of a RAM based
point-of-sale system. I considered it a reprehensible product at the
time and I still do.

- Franc Zabkar