Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default explosive situation?

Best person to ask is your local fire department. They might have
some good stories to tell.

Fuel + Oxygen + Heat (spark) = Fire

I think a DC can catch fire, although I'm not sure how likely it is to
happen.

On 28 Mar 2006 12:56:03 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

I've searched the wreck archives, osha site, googled the web... all I
can find are anecdotal statements.

"sawdust can explode..."
"any combustible material in dust form is explosive..."
"PVC cannot be effectively grounded..."

What I can't find are any specs or hard facts. If I rub my feet on the
carpet and touch a doorknob with a handful of sawdust will my hand
explode? Without any facts I'm extremely unlikely to believe that a
home shop DC system can explode. Didn't one of Adolf's boys say,
"if you repeat it often enough it will become true"?

Case in point:
Just about every driver's manual I have read (ok, two) states that
for a car with a manual transmission...you should put the car in
reverse when parked facing downhill and in first when parked facing
uphill. This is totally idiotic! That advice is based on the false
assumption that the engine can only rotate in one direction. But still
it is part of driver's ed training.

Doesn't anyone beLIEve in facts anymore?
How much dust in what concentration is required for an explosion?
How much of a static charge would be required to ignite that dust?

I only found one link that supposedly had data available but the link
is now dead.