Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Devonshire

Default HackSaw blade installation options?

On the day of Mon, 27 Mar 2006 23:17:52 -0500...
Gerald Miller
typed these letters:

Fine blades such as used in a jewelers saw cut on the pull stroke
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The cutting direction varies on electric reciprocating saws too.
In a scroll saw I would install the blade so that it cuts on the
downward stroke which helps hold the material being cut to
the table. A Jig saw cuts on the up stroke to help hold the saw to
the material being cut. With a hand saw the matrial being cut is
held independent of the saw. I think the direction of the cut is
mostly personal preference and a particual cutting direction may be
advantagous in specific situations.

Devonshire