Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George

Default Harbor Freight lathe, no handwheel on headstock

"Brent" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, this is correct Leo - It's still centered as far as the headstock
is concerned.

As the owner of a 3000 with the original infamous self-adjusting tailstock,
I know what Leo says to be true.

It happens whether I use a chuck or a faceplace. Something I didn't
mention earlier, but when I start adding pressure from the tailstock, I
notice the headstock actually moving, which is uncool. The wood in the
chuck/faceplate does not move indepedantly. Thankfully, I didn't cheap
up on my chuck (Nova Mini). No matter how much I clamp down the head
to the body, it'll still give some play with enough force. I suppose
that's the price one pays when getting a cheaper lathe. I've been able
to combat this by simply not adding too much pressure on the tailstock
- usually just enough to get the point to penatrate the wood. If I
wasn't concerned about performing outboard turning, then I would just
weld the headstock to the body, or some other extreme measure.

Have you tried increasing the pressure of the hold by adjusting the jam nut
or what ever they use to tighten the headstock?

Or the friction with a bit of pumice scattered between the ways and the
headstock?