Posted to rec.woodworking
Stephen M

Default Grunt Work, Machines and Soul (somewhat long)

Music is math. You need not be aware of the math
to make great music, but the number of people who can actually do it
is limited.

The best music is not in the simple ratios of harmonics but the subtleties
of being *outside* (a little sharp of flat) of these ratios. The perfect
envelope of a guitar bend is what separates the "artists" from the 6-string
craftsman. A good drummer will play a little ahead or behind the beat to
create push and pull (tension).

How much of our own work is copying what some other person made? In a
lot of ways we're just really inefficient and inaccurate CNC machines
substituting our own preferences and trying to make up for our
mistakes.

IMO plaster walls look better than sheet rock, specifically because of their
imperfection. In may cases perfection *is* unapealing.

Then again, sometimes "patina" is really just dirt. :-)

-Steve