Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

Default HackSaw blade installation options?

I'm lazy. I use my sawsall. It cuts on the pull stroke. Nothing like
spraying water all over it when cutting into dry water pipe. I think I'm
going to make a short gfci extension cord for such days.
Karl

"Ken Davey" wrote in message
Erik wrote:
In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Devonshire" wrote: (clip) If so... Why? Personally, I've never
really paid attention to which way I put them on.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If the teeth are pointed away from your hand, the cutting stroke
pushes them into the work, so they cut well, and you don't have top
stiffen your wrist. The only blades I know that cut on the pull
stroke are the very thin wood-cutting blades in Japanese saws. They
are so thin that they would buckle if you tried to make one cut on
the push. Hacksaw blades work best at very high tension, so
buckling can't happen.

You don't pay attention to the direction? Does this mean you slide
the saw back and forth with equal energy in both directions? John M
is right. The Hacksaw Blade Police will come. However, if it's
your first offense, they will probably send you to Sawyer's
Education, and let you off without a fine.

Watch out for the Metal File Police as well.

Had to do a citizens file arrest a couple of weeks ago... wasn't
pretty either, a for real bona fide file felony.

The 'operator' was running said file back and forth as if it were a
sanding block. Makes me cringe...

Erik

It is truly amazing how many so called tradesmen beaver away with a

hacksaw
without regard to the pressure on the back stroke. Not only does it ruin

the
blade in short order but the energy input is half wasted,

Sigh.
Ken.