Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gravel / Chippings volume to weight ratio

Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi,

Just in the advanced planning stage of a landscaping project for the
back garden - using Marshalls Woodstone sleepers and posts.

The posts will be concreted 200mm into holes dug with a petrol
posthole borer I'm hiring for a weekend.

To seat all the posts at the same height I'm planning on using
something like a 14mm to dust aggregate, compacted in the bottom of
the hole this means that if a hole is slightly deeper I can raise it
up to the correct height.

I'm just trying to work out the quantity of aggregate I need I plan on
putting 50mm of chippings in the bottom of each hole.

I've Googled but not found a figure for the volume to weight ratio for
14mm to dust.

Try www.pavingexpert.com