Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs

Default Installing a fence....

In article .com,
wrote:

About 1-1/2 years ago, had a 35 to 40 foot eucalyptus
taken down, cost something like $325. I'm in the Phoenix
area.

After I built a large concrete addition to my driveway to accommodate my RV, I
paid to have a *LARGE* branch (not the whole tree) removed from my neighbor's
tree that hung over the new drive and camper. It was over $400 about four
years ago. (Omaha, Nebraska area)

They wanted like $80 more to grind the stump down below
ground level. Took a pass on that.

From experience, I have decided that grinding-out a stump is a mixed blessing.

When my house was built in 1991 on a lot that had been vacant since the
neighborhood was first platted in 1960, I had a HUGE Chinese Elm tree removed
and the stump ground out.

The ground over that area has been settling ever since and is a real ankle
buster if I'm not careful when mowing. I assume that LEAVING the stump only
DELAYS the process. I would still grind out a stump, though. I think the
place looks nicer than with an old stump in various stages of decay.
--

JR