Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom McQuinn

Default Clothes Dryer Taking Longer.....

PipeDown wrote:
Look for more lint clogs inside the dryer. Most often they exist after the
lint filter but before the vent output pipe. Usually need to take the front
off the dryer to access the inside air path. Given what you found in the
external vent, its a safe bet you have a restriction inside the dryer as
well.

Reduced airflow will cause increased drying times. Clean it all out now
before the (non resettable) thermal fuse blows and you have to replace it at
extra cost.

Wilco. Just took about a gallon of very moist, dense lint out of this
area. In fact, it was keeping the lint screen from fully locking down.
There's a load of towels drying as a test right now.

hallerb - I got a look at the heating element and it looks like a single
element, just as you saw in the drawing.

Pete C. - I wanted to smack myself when I saw how simple the 'moisture
sensor' was. Once I understood what I was looking for all I had to do
was stick my head through the door to see them. The contact bars show
no sign of corrosion but I will certainly explore this further if the
latest clean out doesn't cure the problem.

I went on line and reserved a couple of appliance repair books from the
library when I started this. I may not need them with this kind of help!

Tom