Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

Default Clothes Dryer Taking Longer.....

Did you check both fuses? You may only be getting 110V. This will allow the
dryer to run but at a lower temp.
"Tom McQuinn" wrote in message
I have a Kenmore electric dryer. It was starting to take a long time to
dry a load of clothes. After searching Google groups for answers, I spent
a torturous afternoon cleaning the 4 inch vent (from middle of the house
with two 90 degree turns). I never did get the flexible vent brush all the
way through but I do believe I finally crushed all the lint together from
each side. Then when I jammed rags around an electric leaf blower nozzle
and blew out the clogs they left an ejecta trail 20 feet into the yard. At
this point the exhaust vent honestly seems pretty clear. When I go outside
the airflow feels practically as strong as it does straight out of the
dryer.

It is working a whole lot better but still doesn't work as well as it used
to. It seems to get hot enough. But the timer advances before the
clothes are dry. If not for this I think you could put a full load into
it and come back to find dry clothes.

Thankfully, Sears has exploded drawings available:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M25D12DDC

And the legend:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?V58D21DDC

In reading through the dryer troubleshooting section of repairclinic.com I
see a reference to the timer only advancing when the unit reaches the
proper temperature (seems hot enough to me) AND the moisture sensor tells
it that the clothes are drying.

When I look at the exploded drawing, item 34 (very top of the drawing,
center of the page) is called 'electrode sensor'. Does anyone know if
this is a moisture sensor and, if so, do you think it could be worn out?
Dirty? Time to cough up the cash for a service call?

I do know that the timer did not used to advance this way. It might have
run a long time if you were drying something big and heavy but when it
stopped the load would be dry.

If I'm on the wrong track here, thanks in advance for any ideas that might
help me get this machine working well again.

Tom