Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin

Default Screwdriver bits for brace

Mike Marlow wrote:
"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

I took a look at those drills, Mike, and noticed that they don't have
side handles. How do you handle the torque that they produce? That
short pistol grip handle wouldn't seem to give you much leverage.

I just hold it firmly John. Sometimes I'll hold it sideways so the grip is
off to a side instead of straight down and I can get a bit more feel of
control that way. I've never had the need for a side handle. I have
grabbed right around the body of the motor before, again - to get the feel
of more control. Don't know if it actually provided much more control, or
was just a feel thing. I guess I just don't find a drill motor to be very
unsteady feeling in my hand, so as to need something like the side handle.

I usually don't just squeeze the trigger to full speed either, and that
helps with the torque thing. Running a speed bore into a floor joist is one
thing - I'll just hog right into that, but for most other things I generally
attack the work with less torque. I'm one of those guys that you'll never
see running a drill motor up to high speed with a metal cutting bit in it,
or with a tech adapter chucked in, so again - the torque thing isn't as big
a problem as you might think.

--

-Mike-

Thanks, Mike. Knowing your concern about being able to apply enough
torque with a bit brace, I wondered how a drill motor without a great
big side handle would do.

John Martin