Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Hexagon nuts wont budge...

On 27 Mar 2006 18:45:13 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

I like heating to ~120C, then spraying with WD40, if possible.
The WD40 then boils, displacing air, and gets sucked in as it cools.

Except WD40 is a rather crap penetrating fluid. I find proper
penetrating fluid works much better (Plusgas or Halfords own brand)

Loctite now do something that works by freezing and penetrating.
Basically just a normal freezer spray (CO2?) and a penetrant combined.
On some really stubborn nuts (no I don't mean Dribble) on a
turbocharger exhaust manifold it worked really well. It also avoids
any possiblility of flareups as is usual when you have naked flames
and penetrating fluids.

I don't think it's available through retail outlets just yet though
but should be widely available from industrial suppliers - Loctite
Freeze and Release 8040 - about GBP5 for 400ml aerosol.