Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer

Default Fixing leaded windows

Glenn Booth wrote:
Evening all,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix a
small leaded window that is in the top half of
a wooden stable-type kitchen door.

It sounds like you need to get on some sort of leaded light
maintainance course. If the light is intact and just slightly buckled,
get some soft putty on it front and back.

If it is too far gone you might have to take he light out to repair.
It's a difficult job to repair in situ what ever you do so take it out
and store it in ply or something whilst you replace it temporarily with
ordinary glass.

If you want to have a go at it, number each piece with a felt pen and
try and locate some of the lead beading that is used in making them.

http://www.rogermears.com/guides/glass/index.html
http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/tps/briefs...d%20Protection

I can't offer any advice on the door without several good pictures of
it.

You could start by measuring the doors and frame opening on wet and on
dry days; check the diagonals as well; check if the hinges are thickly
covered in paint and/or damaged and see if the frame has worked loose
on its fixings.

When the door is closed, how close is the face to the rebate? Any gaps?
If it isn't shutting tight or if it just minimally shy, you will have
to house the hinge nearest the gap to take the door over a fraction.

But then you might have problems with the join.