Posted to alt.home.repair
phaeton

Default Installing a fence....

Thanks Lawrence.... I was thinking the same thing- this might be too
much for me to bite and chew off, even if it is a small fence. True
this is something you want done *right*.

"If you have small dogs 6' will work.
My vet says a Husky can clear 6'.
Seems 7' can keep the big dogs out or in but, I know for a fact, it
cannot keep clawless cats in. "

The two dogs are going to be border collie and (probably) lab mix. I
guess I'll have to find something 6' tall to put them in and see if
they can clear it I kind of doubt it though.

Stuff running underground behind the house will be an issue too. I
believe there's tons of it- cable, fiber, water, sewer, etc. With all
do respect, *i* don't want to be the one that hits that buried high
voltage line As a side note, the cable guys ran new cable from the
cable pedestal to our house, and now we have this bright orange run of
coax across the back yard. I know I should probably bury it or do
*something* with it.

The other issue is that there is a tree that needs to come down that is
about 2 or 3 feet from where the fence will run. I wonder if we ought
to take that down *first*... it has all kinds of houses to fall on too,
but if it wipes out the fence it might be insult to injury as well.

Once a fence goes up, are they usually untreated wood? I see a lot of
grey wood fences, and IMHO it looks more 'ramshackle' than 'rustic' to
me. Should it be painted right away (brush, sprayer, roller) to match
the house? Stained and then clear lacquered? Just clear lacquered?

thanks.