Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

Default Furnace brands to avoid?

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
In article , "SQLit"
wrote:

FYI if they try to sell you something under 13 SEER for the cooling they

are
ignoring the law as of 1 Jan. 13 is the lowest on new installs.

The law allows for the sale and installation of EXISTING supplies of
lower-SEER units. Only 13-or-higher-SEER units can be MANUFACTURED after
January 1, 2006.

Actually it was (about) 28 January 2006. At least one of my suppliers has a
few 10 SEER units available. They won't advertise it.

This was obvious when just the other day, as I was installing a phone

service
at a brand new (tract) home, I looked at the rating of the condenser unit:
10. All the new (unoccupied or newly-occupied) homes up-and-down the line
sported the SAME, 10 SEER units.

It's reasonable to assume that 10 SEER will be available (and legal for
purchase and installation) for at least several more months: I'm sure the
manufacturers cranked-out as many as they could prior to January 1.
--

JR