Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

Default Quick radiant floor question

"Cindy daria" wrote in message
On 21 Mar 2006 13:52:45 -0800
"z" wrote:

Cindy daria wrote:
Everything I read about retrofitting radiant floor heating under an
existing floor says to add plenty of insulation to direct the heat
upwards. Since our insulated basement is not heated and we'd like
to add radiant to the floor above, would not insulating (or only
lightly) between the them take some of the chill out of the basement
while most of the heat will still go towards the floor above? We
don't want to fully heat the basement, just get the chill out.
Thanks.

My guess is that the heat would just float at the top of the basement,
particularly since the radiant heat is fairly gentle and won't stir up
a lot of currents. (A total guess on my part, I warn you)

OK thanks, I was thinking the same thing but I didn't know for sure.
You just confirmed it.

Radiant heat will stay near the floor. Radiant heat nearly mimics the ideal
heating curve.