Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Electrical socket, change of use

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:50:30 +0100, Owain wrote:

SimonST wrote:
After ripping out all the hot water tanks in a bedroom, I was left
with
a surface mouted socket which supplied the immersion heater.
This is fused seperatly on the CU to 15A.
Would it be OK to remount the socket in the wall (lower down)

Subject to the requirements about running cables horizontally or
vertically from visible accessories, and any joints being suitable and
accessible as required, I would have thought so.

and use it as a light use power socket eg a light or hairdryer?
I know the ring main runs on 30A, but would 15A be suitable for only
light usage ?

A 13A socket is sufficiently supplied by a 15A circuit.

The only other issue is that a socket might require RCD protection
whereas the immersion heater did not, eg

1. The socket might be used to supply a portable appliance outdoors; or
2. You have TT (earth rod) earthing

and

1. the immersion heater was supplied by the non-RCD protected side of a
split load consumer unit; or
2. the immersion heater was supplied by the 100mA time-delay main RCD
protected side of a split load with dual 100mA/30mA RCDs on a TT
installation; or
3. you have no RCD protection

(In cases 1 and 2 you may be able to move the circuit to the 30mA side
of the CU if you have sufficient spare ways).

Although this might not have been required at the time of the original
installation, you are now required (Part P) to install the new socket in
compliance with the current IEE Regulations

Points about RCDs agreed.

A 15A radial socket circuit can have a double socket in fact if you wish
you can supply sockets serving a floor area of up to 20m^2 that has normal
expected loading (not obviously if the 20m^2 is the kitchen).