Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrie

Default Door knob set

Hi, can anyone help.
Just moved and one door which we want to lock has what I think is called a
knob set, knobs either side of the door, one with a keyhole in it and the
inside one with hand lock. Unfortunately the previous people did not have a
key so I thought I would buy a new knob set.
Now I find that the distance from the centre of the line connecting the two
knobs to the door edge on the new lock is 60 or 70 mm and the existing lock
is 95 mm. I cant keep the existing latch bit because the square hole is too
small for the new lock rod.
Does anyone know if you can still get 95 mm knob sets. I have tried several
diy stores and they have no idea. One local store said he could order a 60
mm one and get an additional 95 mm latch but that would be in the order of
£50.
Is the only alternative to cut a new hole nearer the edge of the door and
try to fill the space left with the bit of wood I've just cut out.
Any ideas would be appreciated,
Lawrie