Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Tile floor question

"Redlocks" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm thinking about installing ceramic tile flooring as I am in the process
of updating my finished basement. Presently there is an
old vinyl (or possibly asbestos) tile floor. Is is OK to put ceramic
tile on top of the existing tiles, or should I remove all tiles before
setting new tiles?

Thanks.

John
I retiled my kitchen. It was a raised floor ( not a slab) tiled over the
original vinyl. There was about 250 Sq. Ft. I got only 2 12by12 full tiles
up, that's how well it stuck. The floor was about 1o years old not one
cracked tile. So I would say tile would stick to your vinyl. I was told as
long as the floor is in good shape you can tile over it. Also on mine I
destroyed the vinyl removing tile so it had to come out.