Don Foreman

Default first milling project questions

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:31:17 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

(Foreman said)

I'd ream clear thru .001" over. A drop of Loctite 609 or 681 in the
last hole to engage the pin will secure the pin in place.

I wouldn't bother parting tool steel that small; just whack it off
with a thin abrasive cutoff wheel in a Dremel. It only takes a few
seconds and it doesn't matter how hard the material is.

Photos when they're done, please!

(Harold said)

That's actually pretty good advice, but if one is trying to hold dimensions,
it isn't a solution. Using a parting tool with marked dials provides for
cutting parts to length repeatedly with precision. For a hinge, that may
not be a necessity, though.

I wouldn't think so. . I like "appropriate precision", which is
tenths sometimes but by no means always. I'd cut the pins a teense
short because there's no need at all for a hinge pin to be flush to
within .001" on both ends.