Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

Default Minimum size for woodshop

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:46:53 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

I would like to add a room to the side of my house for a small wood shop.
The best I can do with my property is a shop no more than nine feet wide.
Length can be as much as twenty feet. I would need a table saw, of course,
as well as a work bench and some of the essential, smaller power tools
(router table?, band saw?, etc.) Do I have enough space?
RB

While I don't think I would add a 9' wide addition to my house unless
it would make it proportionately more valuable and suitable for other
uses by potential future owners, my theory on shop size is this:

No shop is too small to start with; no shop is too large to outgrow.

Mine is 16' x 24' completely separate from the house. I considered it
huge when I built it. I now consider it outgrown and I am laying out
a 25' x 40' which will be the next step. Have reached a consensus
agreement with my better half that now that the kids are gone, house
size can be reduced by one third, shop size can increase by a factor
of three. This, of course will require a move.

Frank