Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Question on portable generator usage

Anything above 5kw is not very portable. With wheels, you can go to 10
kw but after that it is trailer time.

David Billington wrote:

Thanks for the info. Various people have replied and given me some ideas
to think about so I can pass the info on to the chap that expressed an
interest in a portable set-up. The idea of renting and just getting a
bigger unit sounds good providing it's still fairly portable.

Thanks for the replies.

Dave

Jerry Martes wrote:

Hi david

I'm building a load for a 100 KW generator right now. So, 3.5 KW
seems manageable with a realistic sized gen-sets.
How big can your gen-set be?? It seems that you can rent/borrow a
gen-set thats big enough to tolerate abrupt load/unload powers of
about 3 KW. I assume the furnace can tolerate a little voltage
variation while the gen-set settled down while the power level gets
adjusted.

Obviously you can test the gen-set with old heater elements or
electric stove heating elements if the furnace could not tolerate
surges in the input voltage.

Jerry

"David Billington" wrote in message

Normally about 1.5kW but maximum would be 3.5kW if the gathering hole
is left uncovered for sufficient time.

Jerry Martes wrote:

"David Billington" wrote in
message ...

A glass blower I know expressed interest in my electric glass
melting furnace, he mentioned wanting one to take to events for
demonstrations and powering it from a mobile generator. Now the
controller uses a solid state relay zero crossing switching and
burst firing and I imagine the generator may not like the rapid
switching from load to no load and back. Does anyone have any
knowledge or experience of this type of application. I had wondered
about having a dummy heater load the same as the furnace and
switching between to two so the generator saw a constant load.

Hi David

How much power do you expect the generator to provide to the furnace
when it is ON??

Jerry