Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc
Eric R Snow

Default Vacuum part holding for milling

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:18:52 -0500, Cliff wrote:

On 25 Mar 2006 05:20:39 -0800, "Mikester" wrote:

What's the rule of thumb for amount of vacuum/pressure required to hold
a flat part for milling operations?

I need to machine up aluminum and plastic plates.

Aluminum plate 4"x4" square
flat plastic puck 2.5" round

Can anybody point me to some links for low cost DIY alternatives to
buying a plate/pump set?

TIA, Mike

Someone may wish to mention safety concerns if it comes loose ....

I had a job years ago that required removing .062" from a 20" long 1"
wide aluminum bar. Double sided tape was the method I chose. I did
think about the parts coming loose because all the material was being
removed in one pass. I made sure that when the parts came loose they
were thrown away from me. And out of a couple hundred parts 4 or 5 did
come loose.
ERS