Posted to alt.home.repair
Beachcomber

Default Tankless water heater for whirlpool tub

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:17:06 -0600, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

Any suggestions?

Get a regular waterheater with a tank. I was involved with a tankless WH
install at work. That thing is a worthless piece of $hit. I'd never have
one in my house.

Back to the electrical discussion, its not so much the volts as it is
the Amps. To get any decent kind of flow, you are probably looking
at a two 12 kW unit in series which is approximately 24 kW or 81888
BTU.

Remember you are talking about filling a tub (not just shower flow).

At 240V, your heating array is going to draw 100A which is a
significant peak load to all but the most heavy duty residential
electrical installations.

In my opinion, you are better off with a tank. It will heat up more
slowly, but you will have 80 - 100 gallons of hot water readily at
your disposal without all the problems of peaking current in an effort
to get instant hot water. Gas or propane would probably be a better
choice for you still.

Beachcomber