Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Grunt Work, Machines and Soul (somewhat long)

Been around long enough to remember the early days of SIG GRAPH?
interGraph's wire frame raster displayed "3D" helicopters "flying"?
How about the beach, with waves and clouds moving while the sunlight
changed computer animation- done by a guy at Lawrence Livermore
Labs. He agreed to work for them, in return for having one of their
super computers to play with for a few hours during low demand periods?

After two days of temps around 100 degrees F, and more forecast, I wrote
a random waves sound generating program on an Atari 800 using Atari
Basic to control volume, tone and time for each of the four sound
"channels"
built into the 800. Sounds were "outwash", "curl", "break" and
"inwash".
Varied volume and "attack", "sustain" and "diminish" by size of wave,
duration
between breaks varied randomly. Got the program working, crashed on the
floor and imagined I was at the beach. It's OK to be hot at the beach.

But machines only do EXACTLY what you tell them to do, with very basic
instructions. While some interesting "art", be it 2D images or sounds,
computer generated stuff seldom deals with aesthetic things well,
or consistently. When it comes to "soul" in furniture making I'll still
go with "wetware" driving tools and muscles.

Some things lend themselves to abstraction - no interplay between
theoretical and real world. That's where the "workmanship of risk"
approach CAN more consistently produce good or even great pieces.

charlie b