Posted to alt.home.repair
JPB

Default CPVC leak seals itself?

On 26 Mar 2006 07:48:12 -0800, Harry K wrote:

I have had them seal by themselves even under pressure if the drip is
slow enough. Some of the water evaporates and leaves residue behind.

The warranty sounds the best deal. If the leak is all that concerns
you, $500 sounds nice too. Even calling in a plumbe shouldn't run
anywhere near that to fix the leak and patch whatever hole he cuts.

Harry K

I have an update. As I said before, the leak was on the hot water feed to
the tub. The gas had been turned off, so the hot water heater wasn't
heating. The pipe must have contracted from the cool water and sealed the
leak. The sellers' agent turned on the water heater Wednesday and checked
it Thursday and again on Friday. It wasn't leaking either time.

On Sunday, I went to the house and it was leaking. I don't know why it took
3 or 4 days for the water to heat up enough to leak, or if something else
was at work. We called the agent and she said she would have the plumber
out the next day to repair it. We also checked more thoroughly and could
see no evidence of subfloor damage. The water has only stained a small
1'x1' area visible from the basement. The leaky pipe should be the only
issue, and that's being fixed.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm set to close Friday and due for a long
weekend.