Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default Minimum size for woodshop

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 14:46:53 -0800, Bob wrote:

I would like to add a room to the side of my house for a small wood shop.
The best I can do with my property is a shop no more than nine feet wide.
Length can be as much as twenty feet. I would need a table saw, of
course, as well as a work bench and some of the essential, smaller power
tools (router table?, band saw?, etc.) Do I have enough space? RB

I have 11 x 31 (1/2 basement). I find myself crammed in because I didn't
plan ahead. I most especially didn't plan for "windfall lumber" ... which
has to be grabbed when it's offered or lost forever.

I am in the process of re-arranging based on a scale profile layout and
about 18 months experience.

As you plan this room, figure on about twice as much lighting as you think
you'll actually need. Also allow for about twice as many amps as you guess
you'll use and outlets much more often than code requires.

If I could build my ideal shop (say 24 x 60 or so with high ceilings and
an overhead office), I'd have to convince my wife that it was time to move
.... or else buy & demolish the house next door.

That's not gonna happen.

What IS going to happen is that I am going to learn how to use the space I
have. I expect that I will be moving things around again in a year or two
.... I might be able to talk my wife out of half of her laundry room by
doing a bang-up job of remodeling the part that's left over. But I will
never have a 'model shop' unless or until I can squeeze a lot more money
out of this one.

Then I can buy those 20 wooded acres in Tennessee my wife and I were
looking at last year.

Bill