Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Wells

Default Minimum size for woodshop

My shop is 9 x 19. It is tight, but managable. Here is a list of the
major things in it: workbench, 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, 12.5" planer,
1.5 hp dust collector, 12" CMS, a little wood storage, router table,
bench top drill press. I think not having a table saw is the key to
making my shop work. It just takes up too much floor space. If you do
get a table saw, make sure you get the smallest one you can find. You
will be cursing a 52" fence.

In addition to what others have said, here are some things that I have
found useful:

* Working with plywood in a shop this size with these tools is very
unpleasant. It is very difficult to manipulate the sheets, even if I
got out and cut them on the driveway. Aside from dealing with plywood,
I feel like I do just fine without a table saw.

* I moved most of my wood storage outside. I just got adjustable
shelves at Home Depot and put them on the side of the building, under
the eaves. I don't store fine hardwood out three, but it is great for
material left over from fencing, etc. that was taking up room in my
shop. Under the eave, it is actually very dry.

* I have a garage door at one end and a man door at the other end. I
didn't choose this configuration. The garage door is very useful and
makes the effective shop size bigger because you can stick long boards
out the door. A man door actually takes up quite a bit of room,
especially if it swings in. I would consider just having french doors
at one side that swing out.

* If you have a garage door, remember that raising the door impacts
things. For example, it may block your lights or hinder your plans for
rafter storage.

* My band saw jointer, planer, and dust collector are all smashed
together as tightly as possible at one end of my shop. That leaves a
much larger open space to do work.

* Remember that with 9 x 19, the 9 is almost always your limiting
factor, so try really hard not to put things against the wall. For
example, my workbench is 24" wide and I have considered building one
that is 18" wide, just so I don't use up as much space.

* At the end opposite the garage door, I put up shelves. The very top
of the shelves hold lumber 9' long. The rest is tools, etc. I used
to have shelves along the 19' wall, but that eats up too much width.
Again, try not to have anything permanently attached to the 19' walls.

* I feel like I really don't have room for lumber storage. I basically
have to buy wood for a project, use it up, and then move on to the next
project. I have one sturdy set of supports pretty high on the 19' wall
to hold that wood. Then as it gets milled down, I can move scraps over
to the shelves on the 9' wall.

* As somebody else mentioned, vertical makes a big difference, too. I
built shelves all the way around the top, very high, to hold paint and
finishing supplies. My clamps are stored in the rafters. That's the
only thing that I've found I can effectively fit in my rafters.

* When you start building miter saw stands, router tables, etc, build
them small! I've basically rebuilt very thing because they were way
too big to start with.

* Somebody on the web has Visio templates for shop layout. Those are
very useful. If you don't have Viseo, make scale drawings of tools you
have or plan to buy and arrange them on paper. As somebody else said,
I would definitely buy one tool at a time based on what you need right
them. You will quickly get to the point where your shop is "full."

Mark