Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Blanchard

Default Minimum size for woodshop

Bob wrote:

I would like to add a room to the side of my house for a small wood
shop. The best I can do with my property is a shop no more than nine
feet wide.
Length can be as much as twenty feet. I would need a table saw, of
course,
as well as a work bench and some of the essential, smaller power
tools
(router table?, band saw?, etc.) Do I have enough space?
RB

Mine is 12x14. Pretty crowded, I don't have room for a bandsaw or a
separate finishing room. My table saw, drill press, lathe, and
stationary disk sander are all mounted on storage cabinets. My
workbench also has storage under it. Other tools like my planer,
scroll saw, grinder, etc. fit in the cabinet under the tablesaw and
most of the hand tools hang on the walls or fit in cabinet drawers.

It's not ideal, but I do OK except when building large pieces of
furniture. Your 9x20 would be a bit larger than mine.

--
It's turtles, all the way down